The Torah learning on this site is dedicated לעלוי נשמת Rochel Leah bas R’Chaim Tzvi
Naaleh
Email: forgot your password?
Password:
Remember Me
Create New Account
  HOME    SIGN UP    NAALEH COLLEGE    NEW! BIKUR CHOLIM PROJECT    FAN PAGE    TORAH ARTICLES    DONATE    BECOME A PARTNER    CONNECT WITH US    LINKS  

Search
+  Naaleh
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Ask the Rabbi
| | |-+  Men
| | | |-+  Questions when Conducting Business Transactions
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Questions when Conducting Business Transactions  (Read 2883 times)
Yaakov39

« on: February 13, 2008, 04:04:32 AM »

Dear Rabbi,

I do business transactions with many different people throughout the week, and I often encounter situations where I know what the US legal system would say, but I am unsure about what to do from a Halachic standpoint. Are there clear Halachic guidelines for how to deal with different business situations?

I was told to 'consult a Rabbi', but given the time-sensitive nature of my business dealings, I have found that this is very hard for me to do. In the end, I often rely on basic principles that I learned from my teachers over the years, advice from other business people, and a good amount of common sense. If there is a better method, what would be the process that you would recommend to resolve a situation in a Halachic manner?

Thank you!

-Yaakov
michael2

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 11:19:05 PM »

Realistically your problem is with the education we receive in yeshiva.  Rather than spending tons of time discussing the theoretical discussions of the Talmud, we need to study the real world halachot of business.

We need to learn these halachot just as we do kashrut. We certainly wouldn't expect adults to run to the rabbi every time they eat a meal.  We teach people the halachos so they can use them every day.  We need to do the same thing for business.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 06:06:01 PM by Moderator » Logged
Rabbi Hershel Reichman

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 04:33:48 PM »

Dear Yaakov and Michael,

You raised good points.  There are comprehensive and reliable sources that address modern business issues from a Torah point of view.  There is a wonderful website, http://www.darchenoam.org/ethics/business/bus_home.htm,  which lists many of the important books, classes, and essays that have been presented on these topics.

Specific business questions should be sent to on eof the authorities listed on the site, such as Rabbi Aaron Tendler, Professor Aaron Levin, and others, but it is important to first embark on a basic study of the sources, as is presented on the site.
LaNita

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 12:28:55 AM »

Thank you Rabbi,
thanks for the link too.

I have a question concerning etiquette and the business place.
I'll post it for you as a new topic.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  
Valid XHTML 1.0!   Valid CSS!