The Torah learning on this site is dedicated לעלוי נשמת Rochel Leah bas R’Chaim Tzvi
Naaleh
Email: forgot your password?
Password:
Remember Me
Create New Account
  HOME    SIGN UP    NAALEH COLLEGE    TORAH ARTICLES    DONATE    BECOME A PARTNER    CONNECT WITH US    ABOUT  

Search
+  Naaleh
|-+  General Category
| |-+  "Dear Tali"
| | |-+  Women
| | | |-+  getting enough sleep
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: getting enough sleep  (Read 3282 times)
Judy

« on: February 05, 2008, 03:04:00 AM »

Dear Tali,

I'm not sure if you sure the address for this question, but i am having a hard time balancing my sleeping schedule and making sure that I am getting enough sleep.  Thank G-d I have a very busy schedule and am juggling many responsibilities, and the result is lack of sleep.  Many times I have a choice of taking a nap to catch up on sleep or doing 50 other very imortant things.  If I do nap, I sometimes sleep too much and neglect my responsibilities.  If I don't, I feel the effects on my physical health pretty quickly.

What should my attitude towards lack of sleep be?  How do I strike a good balance?
Dear Tali

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 09:15:25 PM »

Judy,

My apologies for taking so long to respond.  The problem you raise is one that many people deal with on a daily basis.  As women in today's 24/7 workday, our mentality has become such that we feel guilty if we are not able to be the superwoman or the supermom.  And very often this results in many hours of work, and too few hours of sleep.  For some people this schedule works, but for most this lack of sleep can lead to many issues, some of which include: anxiety, feelings of depression, impaired memory and concentration, and exhaustion.  Most people need a consistent 7 to 9 hours of sleep per night, and ideally these hours should occur during relatively consistent times. 

The best advice I can give you is get to know yourself and your body.  How do you function best?  How many hours of sleep is your body telling you you need?  If you are not getting the amount of sleep you need, this will affect your ability to accomplish your daily tasks on a timely basis.  Scheduling an adequate amount of sleep into your life may actually end up helping you get more done.  You may find that sleeping more will not hinder your ability to complete all your tasks, but instead improve your concentration and hence help you get even more done during the day.  And hopefully if you sleep enough during the night, you will not need to take naps during the day.

Ultimately, getting enough sleep requires great discipline, and sometimes one needs to decide to put a task down for the night in order to get the sleep one needs to more efficiently complete that task and others during the daytime. 

I hope this helps.

Best,
Dear Tali

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  
Valid XHTML 1.0!   Valid CSS!